Infections in your eye occur when bacteria, fungi, and viruses invade any part of your eyeball or that surround the area, including the cornea and the lining of the inner and outer eye. These types of events will cause a lot of pain and discomfort and can severely affect your eyesight, making even the simplest task just impossible to complete.
The symptoms of an eye infection will include:
- Red eyes
- Watery eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Swollen eyes
- Blurry vision
You should contact your eye doctor right away once it becomes apparent that you are dealing with an eye infection. There are many different types of eye infections, and an eye doctor will have the experience and knowledge to determine which kind of infection you have so that the proper treatment can be prescribed.
Some causes and types of eye infections are:
- Conjunctivitis, or pink eye. This is a very common and highly-contagious type of infection that is spread among children through schools and similar environments, and so teachers and caregivers are at increased risk for this issue.
- Fungal keratitis. This type of eye infection made the news in the last decade when a contact lens solution was linked to an outbreak among users. Fungi can invade the eye this way, as well as through penetrating injury, for example.
- Acanthamoeba keratitis. Parasites can invade the eyes of contact lens wearers, causing this sight-threatening infection. Contact lens wearers should therefore always observe established safety tips to avoid this serious and potentially severe affliction.
A few ways to lessen the discomfort you experience from an eye infection can include:
- Taking ibuprofen or another over-the-counter pain killer
- Place a warm, damp washcloth over your eyes for a few minutes
- Use an over-the-counter lubricating eyedrop, also known as “artificial tears”
Here at Classic Vision Care, we understand how important the gift of sight is, and we always strive to provide the very best in eye care to each and every patient. Classic Vision Care serves patients throughout the metro Atlanta area, providing optometry services to people in Vinings, West Paces Ferry, Smyrna, and East Cobb. To learn more about the services we have available here at Classic Vision Care, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today!