If you wear contact lenses, proper care will be vital to the health of your eyes. The best way to avoid the pain and discomfort of infections and other issues is to follow the instructions provided by your eye doctor for the care of your contacts. Contact lenses that don’t fit correctly can scratch your eyes as well as possibly causing blood vessels to grow into your cornea, a dangerous condition that poses a serious threat to your vision.
You should always clean and disinfect any contact lens you remove from your eye before you put the lens back in. Your choice of cleansing products will depend on the type of lens you use, if you have allergies, or if your eyes tend to form protein deposits. Your eye doctor will be happy to assist you in deciding what kind of cleaning solutions you should use.
Here are some contact lens care tips that will help keep your eyes healthy:
- Always thoroughly wash, rinse, and dry your hands before handling your contacts
- Use soaps that are free of oils, lotions, and perfumes
- Use lint-free towels to dry your hands
- Handle your lenses with fingertips; avoid using sharp objects such as tweezers or fingernails
- Ensure that your lenses are moist, clean, and damage free before use. Never put a damaged contact lens into your eye.
- Always use fresh solution when caring for your contacts, and don’t allow the tip of the applicator to touch other surfaces.
- Don’t sleep in your contacts
- Stick to the wearing schedule as prescribed by your eye doctor
- If your eyes become red or irritated, or if your vision changes, remove your lenses immediately and consult your eye care professional.
- Only change the brand of contact lens solution that you are using if recommended by your eye care professional – not all solutions are created equal!
- Put your contacts in before applying makeup, and remove your lenses before you wash it off.
When eye issues happen, call us here at Classic Vision Care for the best in eye care. We are always here for you!