When you choose a new pair of glasses, you take your time searching for just the right frame in just the right color or pattern. Your glasses say a lot about you, so you take care to invest time and energy in the selection process, ensuring that your choice perfectly expresses who you are.
The care and maintenance of your glasses also tell your story. If your glasses are well-maintained, people will automatically know that you are financially responsible and that you care about your personal appearance and health. When they are not properly cared for, well…the story is much different. Here are some great tips to help you take the best care of your eyeglasses.
- Always rinse your glasses with clean water before you wipe or clean them since even the tiniest dust or dirt particles will settle on your lens. Wiping these around on a dry surface can cause damage from abrasion.
- Always use sprays and cleansers that are made specifically for eyeglasses cleaning. Windex and other household cleaners are for….households. They often contain ammonia, and that will eventually tear off any coating you may have on your lenses.
- Allow your glasses to air dry whenever possible. This will help to keep foreign materials from affecting your lens. If this is not possible, wipe them down with a clean, soft, and lint-free cloth.
- Materials, such as paper towels, napkins, or tissue, should never be used to dry eyeglass lenses. These materials, however soft they may be on your skin, have a textured surface that will actually scratch your lenses. Your shirt will do the same thing if it’s not made of 100% cotton; the fibers in other fabrics will damage your lenses over time. Clothing also often has dirt on it, which transfers to your glasses.
- Holding your frame by firmly gripping the bridge piece that crosses your nose will help ensure that you don’t accidentally bend your frame during cleaning.
- Store your glasses properly when they are not being worn. Pouches made with microfibers are perfect for holding those glasses you don’t wear all the time, such as reading or computer glasses. Make sure you don’t lay your glasses down with the lenses on any surface – scratches will be the unhappy result.
- Daily washes will keep your lenses in an optimal state, for the best vision possible.
Here at Classic Vision Care, our name says it all. Call us or visit us online to schedule an appointment or for more tips on eyeglass care.